Mike Moreno : comping

(9 posts)
  1. Neither

Did anybody ever transcribe Mike Moreno (or Adam Rogers, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Jonathan Kreisberg or another modern jazz guitar player) when he comps behind a solist ? Any help would be great.
    some examples :

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

2. Benny

Hi Neither,
    I can't see the videos as I'm at work but there are two sources of information on this subject I would recommend:
    1. The book 'Jazz Guitar Comping' by Andrew Green;
    2. The 5 part video lesson series 'Modern Jazz Guitar' by Tim Lippencott at mikemasterclasses.com - the 'harmony' video has plenty of information on "contemporary" comping approaches.

Secret
  3. Neither

Thanks Benny for your answer.
    I've got Andrew Green's book. It's a great book but it talks about a much more traditional comping than Mike Moreno plays.
    I've got the Tim Lippincott video about modern Jazz Guitar (Harmony), and it's one of the best thing I saw on the subject.
    But my question is about the "real thing" great players play (voicing, rythm and harmony), about transcription of what they play.
    I search for this kind of thing, but for a modern guitar player :
    http://www.timfischermusic.com/lessons/dowar.pdf

Admin
  4. reggit25

Does anyone know what song they are playing in the video?
    J.

5. Gia5

The tune is UMMG (Upper Manhattan Medical Group) by Billy Strayhorn.

6. smoke

I don't know what your money situation is like, but you could email him about lessons. He teaches via Skype and could probably tell you his chordal philosophy directly. I haven't studied with him so I have no idea if he is a good teacher.

7. Gesture

Who knows the name of this song?

8. reggit25

Wonderful tune! I would love to know too if anyone has any idea??

J.

9. wflynn13

Mike's one of my favorite players. I've transcribed a lot of his stuff, although I haven't really gotten into his comping so much--mostly single-note lines.

You can see my transcriptions here: http://www.williamflynnmusic.com/transcriptions/

You must log in to post.