No tags yet.

1. guitar1025

Register
  2. patfarlow

2 retarded good players
    thanks for the post!

Admin
  3. sweetdeat

Very interesting! I know they are just jamming...but it really showcases each one's strengths...

Love the way Julian plays underneath Mike...

Register
  4. jazznan

This is fantastic, thanks for posting. I love the way Mike plays underneath Julian, beautiful chords and sensitive playing.

5. jorgemg1984

Very nice, thanks. Funny thing I usually am not a big fan of Mike Moreno's tone or ideas (but he is a monster of course, I am talking about taste) but here both his sound / phrasing is amazing!

6. geetarted

Saw this yesterday, wow. Great playing from 2 talented guys.

7. adamv

sooooooo good!

Secret
  8. smoke

Amazing to see them both. Mike is kind of a dark guy and Julian is amazingly positive so it is interesting to hear them together. They both seem really relaxed here.

Interesting how much they sound like themselves even when they don't have their full rigs. Mike still sounds just like Mike w/o any of his pedals and his normal amp. He just has a heaviness to his tone. Julian sounds light and airy.

Really awesome clip and so glad someone recorded it!

9. Barry Mando

I'm so glad to see someone posted this here. This gig is incredible to watch on many levels. I've been llistening to Moreno for quite sometime and really love his playing. As you guys and gals know, he is on the forefront of modern jazz guitar. I have been listening to a lot of Julian lately. He gets roped into the jazz grass-Django field because he has played and recorded with many of those artists. I really like his playing, his creativity, and his overall wonderful sense of harmony and melody. I've often wondered how he would stack up with the "heavies" out there like Kurt, Lage, and Moreno (among others). I think he did very well. I hear a definite difference in their playing. It seemed they were felling each other out in the beginning and then finally let loose. I know I am comparing apples and oranges but it was really nice to see Mr. Lage holding his own (Ha!) with Mr. Moreno. I've been waiting for Julian to get more recognition in the modern jazz guitar world.

10. Anny Mouse

All you have to do is watch this video to know Julian can DEFINITELY "hold his own" :)

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

He makes this look easy and it's very difficult to do. On top of that his projection acoustically is incredible.

11. arewolfe

"Hold his own." Heh, that gave me a chuckle. Julian is the most incredible traditional jazz guitarist on the planet right now. The video above is truly insane.

12. Dorian Grey

Have any of you guy check this one out!? The level of communication between Frank and Julian is astounding!!. After the 3.00 minute mark, save yourselves and trow your guitars out of the window! :)

13. patfarlow

Julian def holds back alot of power when playing in the first video. He's capable of destroying worlds.

14. fakejake

Julian def holds back alot of power when playing in the first video. He's capable of destroying worlds.
    So true!!

15. guitarmo

Love these clips, Mike Moreno is my man. Julian is a beast but plays too much like a guitar player for my taste, still love him though.

16. arewolfe

Yeah I don't really care for Julian's playing. He's not someone I really follow or buy records of, because there is no emotional connection there for me. But his virtuosity and the authenticity of his lines are both just so incredible. Really captivating.

17. fakejake

Julian is a beast but plays too much like a guitar player for my taste,
    it's funny, julian touches that issue in one of his clinic floating around the net. he basically says that for too a long time guitar players have tried very hard to sound NOT like guitarplayers, but pianists, hornplayerers etc. it is time to rethink and exploit the unique and special sonic and harmonic capabilities of a guitar. in other words, no need to feel guity or ashamed of you instument and try to make it sound like something it just isn't. Do those bends, double stops, octaves, block chords etc...!!

18. Matt

I remember my teacher mentioned hearing Julian on NPR and he didn't catch the beginning, etc and remarked that he thought he [Julian] was a girl until the interviewer said 'he'!

Anyway, i think comparing Julian to the likes of Moreno, Rosenwinkel, etc is a big overstatement. Julian is obviously heavy, but in a way that was more akin to the early players (a la Barney Kessel?) to me. I think Moreno and especially Rosenwinkel have so much more in the department of composition and modern concepts, at least that i hear. i think a few others have touched on that as well here.

19. patfarlow

@Matt Would you mind defining "modern concepts"? What devices are you speaking of that have not previously been exploited years ago? Also one only needs to view the several Lage etudes to note he isn't capable of being boxed in with Barney Kessel. Perhaps that is the point here, these labels can be more segregating then helpful at times. If im forced to compare my opinion of his "emotion" when playing to someone else though, thats subjective and is impossible to argue effectively.

IMO proving K. Rosenwinkel as more "heavy"compositionally vs Moreno Vs Lage is also subjective.

Which I think you are also saying, its your opinion, which is i think, as valid as everyone else's.

20. Wow guitar guy 77, what a great critique of both players and honest admission of your current subjective tastes!

21. goshawk

Julian is only in his early 20's and has all the incredible technique to utilize as the soul aging and life's good and bad experiences have a chance
    to creep into his playing. I wish I had his tools to just play what came out of my crazy head.

Arthur

22. MichalisM

this made my day !

23. filters

24. LeonardoB

This is Mike over the "old" Milestones by John Lewis. Just fun to hear him ripping the changes of an old bebop classic which also Kurt often plays with his standards trio.

You must log in to post.