Admin

new animals as leaders record

(9 posts)
  1. Matt

Animals as leaders - isolated incidents

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

just wanted to share this, i think Tosin Abasi and his bandmates are creating some very very great music, albeit not strictly 'jazz'. i'm going to pick this record up later today.

2. Poparad

I love their stuff. When I first got this album last year, I was a bit disappointed in it, but I pulled it back out a few weeks ago and now I really love it. I think I went into it with some preconceptions, especially after having listened to their first album so much. When I went in with fresher ears and an open mind, I enjoyed it a lot more. The track you posted above is probably my favorite track on the album.

3. patfarlow

i also enjoy them

4. contremisart

tosin abasi mentions kurt in an interview, he could be a fan .p

5. Matt

i think tosin is leaning toward compositionally assimilating more modern jazz concepts. both the old and this record definitely sound that way to me.

6. Matt

if anyone's interesting, he offers some insight into his knowledge and playing in this clinic

7. Poparad

Tosin is indeed a Kurt fan:

Check out 2:30 for "Zhivago" and 3:30 for "Synthetics"

8. patfarlow

have you guys listened to his jazz/fusion side project?

9. Poparad

I picked up the TRAM album when it came out. Pretty cool stuff, and it's nice to hear sax in the mix. My only compliant is that it's so short! But that was kind of the nature of the project. It's really just an EP that they knocked out in a weekend that they were all in the studio together, as opposed to being a really rehearsed and collaborated project. I'd love to hear more from them, if they ever get the chance to assemble again between all of their bands' touring schedules.

You must log in to post.