New band at the Vanguard.

(6 posts)
  1. So I was on my way to New York from Boston to see Kurt`s new group play at the Village Vanguard, and then THE BUS BROKE DOWN! Needless to say, I missed the show and was totally depressed for it.

So did anyone see any of those sets? How did they sound? What tunes did they play? Please help me!

2. c0ltrane

Not to make you feel any worse but I've seen Kurt at least 8 or 9 times and this was my favorite show. It's a completely different sound than his older stuff. The combination of musicians really makes a special vibe.

Songs I remember are
    - Ugly Beauty (Monk)
    -Reaching (Kurt)
    -Bass Place(Kurt)

And a few other Kurt originals with a very free vibe to them. They all seemed to be doing things in their own direction and somehow it all complemented eachother perfectly. Also, Kurt was on piano on a few of these songs.

Private
  3. jazznan

how was it "completely different"? do explain please, very curious

Register
  4. Sandemose

Strange (but I guess good?) that nothing from the concerts leaked out on youtube. I guess Village Vanguard make sure it wont happen. Im also curious :)

Best, Sandemose

5. c0ltrane

I'm not saying Kurt's playing was completely different, I'm saying the sound of the band and compositions were different. A lot of the Kurt originals they played were more open/free rather than lots of crazy fast chord changes which allowed the whole band to experiment more. The sound of Andrew D'angelos bass clarinet and his flowing/angular lines revealed a new texture to Kurt's music. Think of the freedom of Miles 2nd quintet (i'm not saying they sound like that AT ALL....just trying to find a way to describe the freedom in the music).

You have to hear them and make your own opinion...our thoughts might totally disagree. Unfortunately I didn't have my recorder on me that night and I am kicking myself now. Hopefully something leaks around here soon...

6. Tunes -
    Afro Blue
    Bass Place
    (with a wonderful drunk woman giving her 2 cents after everything Kurt said during one set...hilarious...
    Kurt said "bass place" and a woman piped in..."love the bass!!" and kurt was like..."yea....can't get enough bass...this next one is called kira wolf...can't get enough kira either".....good times
    Deja Vu
    Eyes So Beautiful As yours
    Kera Wolf
    Mrs. Parker of KC
    Oder Sports
    Reaching
    Retrogression(s?)
    Ugly Beauty

and 3 delay pedals...thats right...3. and he used them well in a new way for sure.

cOltrane...where does one find bootlegs??where does one POST bootlegs (*cough*)??

You must log in to post.