New York New York Reharm

(3 posts)

No tags yet.

1. bingefeller

If any of you guys have seen the film Shame I'm sure that you'd be familar with the scene where Carey Mulligan sings New York New York.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

I was wondering if any of you guys with good ears could figure out those chords? It sounds like there are lots of interesting chord subs happening in there but I'm not good enough to work it out....Poparad?? :D

Email
  2. Poparad

That's a very interesting take on it. Most of it sounds fairly straight-forward to the original. The two biggest things are the I chord is played first as a minor chord and then a major chord in that instrumental riff that happens after the beginning of the verse, and then the V chords are usually V7#9 chords, except that the #9 and major 3rd are either voiced side by side in the same octave, or the 3rd is an octave higher than the #9, upside down from the way we conventionally voice it, thus creating a minor 9th interval between the two.

Have you heard this version of the tune by Django Bates?

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

3. bingefeller

Hi Poparad,

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard that Django Bates version before but it's very interesting.....I'm not that keen on it to be honest. Sorry man.

Any chance you could figure out the chords to the version that I posted? If you charge for this service then please email me with a quote - bingefeller(@)gmail.com

I will be happy to pay you. I'm not worried so much about the little piano bits, just the chords so I can sit down and find out what's happening because it's one of the most amazing reharms I've ever heard!

Thanks!

You must log in to post.