Next Kurt Rosenwinkel album ?

(12 posts)
  1. Neither

I read this on wonmusic.com :
    "On September 4-10 Kurt recorded an all-new album with a Portuguese Big Band called Orchestra de Jazz de Matosinhos. They have made arrangements of some of Kurt's compositions, and have previously made excellent recordings with Chris Cheek and Lee Konitz among others. We hope to release this album in early 2010, and will do live dates in the summer of 2010 as well."
    Anybody has more information ?
    New compositions on it ?
    Best,

Neither

2. cruxtable

i saw kurt mention doing a big band recording in an interivew...and on his facebook he mentioned once making a big band recording of "our secret world", i believe...maybe it was zhivago..can't remember

Magical rainbow ponies
  3. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

we are mixing the big band album later this month. songs are:
    turns, our secret world, zhivago, filters, dream of the old, use of light, the cloister, path of the heart.
    trying for a Fall release.

Secret
  4. cruxtable

awesome. can't wait already!

Private
  5. Neither

Thanks a lot for your answers.
    So it will be the first time turns will be published, and in a Big Band formation ! All great tunes in any case ! Kurt Rosenwinkel in a big band context, can't wait to hear it !

6. Sandemose

Would love to hear some teasers from this album, but I guess that could take a while. Man, what a monster "Turns" must "turn" into in a big band setting? I can already imagine the sounds of the chords arranged for horns in this one. Hope anyone wasnt hurt playing the head of song though. You might never recover from that...

best,

Sandemose

Secret
  7. Redbeard

Okay, the curiosity and anticipation is killing me. Any news yet on a drop date?

8. wommusic
    Key Master

The official release date is set for September 7, 2010 Redbeard. I don't think I am hyping if I tell everyone that this album is going to blow your minds!

Private
  9. Redbeard

Thanks for the news, Anders. My mind could use a good blow.

10. wommusic
    Key Master

hahaha! That sounds like a line spoken in Miami, say, 1979?

11. jazzbum

YES! I am counting the days now! My favorite of Kurt's compositions are on this record. A Big Band Dream of the Old!!!!! It reminds me of the first time I heard Kurt in October 2005 when I bought Enemies of Energy, every fall I think of that album and fall in love again.

12. Brendan

I am shaking in my seat upon hearing the news of this....Ive heard kurts playing in a big band setting....bootlegged....its power.

Our Secret World is probably what im most excited about hearing, I think when i was learing it on piano I listened to it 400 times a day with my friend transcribing the lead on trumpet straight into my ear....so to hear this tune with an actual horn section should be nuts...

Question: Does anyone know if this will be released in the same way The Remedy was released?

P.S... It would be amazing to have Mark Turner on this album.

You must log in to post.