Register

Phrasing / Motif rut

(4 posts)

No tags yet.

1. ostinatob

Hi all. I'm relatively new to the more "recent" board, but figured I'd say hello and start off with a topic. I'm very aware of the fretboard and of what I'm playing when improvising, but lately it seems all I'm really falling back on is a bit of runs and intervallic jumps and suffering greatly with formulating interesting/pleasant phrases. Anyone have any similar troubles and/or insights with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

brandon

Secret
  2. jorgemg1984

Just three hints (I am on the same page you are)

1 - Force yourself to play new things, search for diversity on melodies or rhythms or anything else

2 - Play as much as you can, sessions or gigs

3 - Transcribe, transcribe, transcribe

Email
  3. Poparad

I find myself falling into the rut frequently, but that's also the motivation to pull myself out of it. I'll learn some new ideas, then those ideas will get old, and I'll force myself to see out new ideas to inject into my playing. Then those ideas get old, and I'll try and find new ones, and so on and so on.

4. Matt

jon damian's book tthe complete guide to composing and improvising has a lot with motif development. he basically says put restrictions on which intervals you're using and then you have complete freedom.

Private

You must log in to post.