Magical rainbow ponies

Picking location

(5 posts)

No tags yet.

1. I've been experimenting with picking either in the middle, or closer to the bridge(more string tension) lately. Have any of you worked on, or spent time finding where you like best. I"m sure there are a few of you who pick where there hand naturally falls....but I'm not interested in that answer. I do acknowledge that that's legit. :)

2. Kapteinar

Hey man, I pick anywhere from the bridge to the 12. fret if needed.
    If I alternate pick long runs from low to high, I might start picking close to the bridge and gradually move closer to the neck pickup.
    You can alter the tone a great deal without touching your tone control or EQ just by picking in different places.
    Kurt does this a lot, and you can really hear the effects it has. I learned it from studying Scofields playing actually, he's the master.
    He might pick three diferent notes in a line at three different places. Sounds great!

3. JorgeRubiales

I have experimented by advice of my teacher, and I can say that when I want to play with a lot of dynamics I have to play near the bridge pickup, I'm still finding the sweet spot, where I can play the loudest and cleanest with good tone (I would recommend you to try and find that sweet spot on your guitar, I've seen guitars that increase in volume quite noticeably when picked in that zone).

However if I want a more "liquid" tone, for the lack of a better term, I would pick over the neck pickup. You can't do much dynamic work there though, it's always kind of mezzopiano/mezzoforte.

Hope it helps

4. Matt

jorge nailed that answer

5. Nice Answers. thx!

You must log in to post.