Email

Please help!!!

(5 posts)

Tags:

1. e.s.p

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, though I've kept up with it reading all of your posts. I know people like to post something like this every once in a while, but I'm just looking for some help. I haven't been as active on my instrument for a while, and now I'm in a serious rut, and I really need to get back on my feet. I'm currently taking a break from school, and I don't have any idea where to start practicing again to become the guitar player I know I can be. Please guys, anything will help. How do you guys organize your practice routines and such?

2. JorgeRubiales

There's a very similar thread in this forum, use the search box and you'll find it. Plus, there's a whole lot of information just in this forum, so my advice is to work on something you like and something you need to improve

3. wommusic
    Key Master

My advice would be to put on some music that you really love, and get excited about it and allow the passion for the music to direct you toward your goal.

I find that many times the fear of "how am I going to turn this into a career" is hugely overwhelming and dispiriting to a musician in his/her early, formative years. That fear can be debilitating and destroy the passion for the process of becoming a musician. Don't let that happen to you. Just allow the music to carry you forward, and find a way to pay your bills until such time where your musical career can do that for you. There is no other way and every great musician have had to deal with that - Kurt included.

4. Basile865

I think thats really great advice.

To help myself maintain creativity and excitement I take a few different approaches to music. I find it helps to completely switch genres you listen to every once in a while to keep your brain thinking differently. Hendrix Band of Gypsies to Kurt Rosenwinkel, to John Williams (film score composer), to Tom Petty to Bob Dylan, to Mos Def to Robert Glasper to Allan Holdsworth to Tony Bennett to Foo Fighters and even The Darkness (yes I said it! haha). Switch the instruments you listen to - great guitarists but also great sax, piano, flute, drums, bass, vocalists etc. IF you have access to other instruments play them even if its only by yourself at home, even if you have no idea how to do it - just make sound on it and be creative. I left out - also check out great bluegrass, gospel, and indian music as well. Check out tuvan throat singing! Check out some didjeridoo music.

Its basically like eating. You have to have a balanced diet and exercise to be healthy. Same goes for music. Basically you should have an artist you enjoy in every genre. Rock, Blues, Jazz, Classical, Rap, Metal, Country, Gospel, Bluegrass...................and all of those have sub genres obviously to go from.

I think all of us have a love for sound in general precedes a love for music.

With that being said I think you have to look for inspiration externally AND internally equally. I have to come up with some new material to feature tomorrow and I thought I would spend the day trying to listen to a wide variety to get inspiration, but instead I turned everything off and just sat at the kitchen table with my guitar and played. You'll be surprised what comes out of thin air. Experiment. Dont be afraid to make something thats not normally what you'd make. As musicians we all have to spend time learning how to clear our head and tune in to the inside if that makes sense. It will be stronger some days then others, but just keep chipping away and enjoy the process.

Register
  5. Matt

basile has a lot of great stuff there. really great.

for me, ruts happen naturally because sometimes we are more inspired than others to get where we're going. like climbing a mountain - we all take breaks, rests, etc, and there are so many beautiful views from everywhere besides the top! so if i'm only practicing an hour a day, or not at all, or whatever, it doesn't bother me because the moment in which i live is still super super enjoyable.

music is all about the moment...

You must log in to post.