practicing patterns/technique

(5 posts)

No tags yet.

1. cruxtable

I'm finally getting around to really working on patterns and technique...i started writing out a list of the possible patterns i want to go through, but I'm not sure exactly how far i should take it....Ideally I'd like to get to every possible two, three, etc. note pattern and take it through every possible scale, and then I've also considered taking each pattern with a metronome up to my desired tempo goal, so that i can have the technique to play on really burning tunes..but I just can't even imagine how long that would take- it would take me hours, possibly days just to take my first two note pattern (basically playing a scale, but playing each note twice, so 1-1 2-2 3-3 etc) up to the max tempo...I want to get to all the patterns but also be able to practice them up to tempo, and taking them through every scale, but I don't know if there's enough time in the world to do it all....anybody have thoughts on this?

2. cruxtable

also, i was thinking of the issue of when working on one pattern, should i practice that pattern through every scale before going on to another pattern, or just deal with all patterns i want to do for major scales, then all the patterns for melodic minor, etc?

3. add4

I would just say it's a very good exercise to practice patterns, and everything you said is a good way of practicing them.
    However 'burning' on a tune is a matter of much more things than just practicing patterns. I don't think there is one thing that can be practiced to be a great musician it's a combination of many many many small things.

If you practice because you want to have the result of your practice, then you're going to have a bad moment, you should practice something because you want to practice is and in inspires you musically at a moment. I think it's something that is worked during your musical life. in the begging, simple patterns, then you're going to be inspired by something else, and while you use the patterns you know in your playing, you're going to have ideas on how to use new ones, and you're going to practice them at this moment.

I think that what i'm trying to say is: to me you're looking so much ahead on the road that the questions you ask seem relevant today, but won't be relevant at all when it's time to decide. To me, you should just start practicing patterns, define a working routine with all your (very good by the way) ideas, and get to work. if it doesn't work, change the way you work and try it again. planning too much ahead is often the best way of being impressed by too much questions and might be paralyzing. work on your patterns and you're going to have the answers you need when you need them.

4. cruxtable

you have some good points, though the only thing i'm looking to gain is more facility with my instrument, to get my fingers to learn new things and trust that it will help my playing and come out in a natural way, if and when i ever hear any of those particular ideas during improvisation. and i figured that if i want any of these ideas to come out while playing burning tunes, i should practice them to be able to do them up to those speeds so i don't have the limitations of tempo for a pattern that i know at a slower tempo. though perhaps i am thinking too far ahead of myself...

5. jorgemg1984

Paul I have practiced the crap out of that issue. I use it for time and speed mainly.

Here's what I do

1) I practice by tonal centers, major and melodic mainly (I don't use the harmonic that much). I use the CAGED system from the lowest to the highest note in every position. I practice 3 and 4 subdivision in a given time. Increase time slowly in order to play faster and faster. Some things I practice for all scales but not this one - it's insane to do it!

2) Partterns (every pattern has a direction (up or down) and 4 variations (up up, down down, up down, down up)

a) Sequences of notes: 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7 or 8 notes. Example of a 4.note sequence on a major scale: UP (1234, 2345, 3456, ...) (up up) (4321, 5432, 6543,...) (down down) (1234, 5432, 3456, 7654, ...) (up down) (4321, 2345, 6543. 4567,...) (down up) DOWN (1234, 7123, 6712, ...) (up up) (1765, 7654, 6543, ...) (down down) (1234, 3217, 6712, 1765,...) (up down) (1765, 4567, 6543, 2345,...) (down up)

b) Intervals: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (the same thing)

c) sequence of intervals (22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27) (32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37) (etc...)

d) random patterns

Good luck!

You must log in to post.