Email

Question for Kurt 2: Do you have perfect pitch?

(14 posts)

No tags yet.

1. mrzzajjazz

Hey Kurt and everyone!

I'm just getting excited from Kurt's respond to the thread "If Kurt responded more.." and "Question for Kurt"(well maybe you have opened Pandora's box here...), but here's my question to Kurt and everyone else in this forum who find it interesting:

Do you have perfect pitch? And what are your thoughts about the relationship between what you hear in your mind as you improvise, and the ability to know where the pitches are on the neck in the same moment?

I guess as guitarist it is easy to get stuck in patterns and turn on "autopilote" from time to time. (At least I find myself doing it..)

Do you have any thoughts on what's a good ear-training programme for guitarist? (Maybe to try and move away from the "autopilote"-mode?)

Well, I guess that's more than one question, but if you find the time to just answere one of the questions here, I would be most greatful-and anyone else's opinon would be appreciated much too!

Thank you so much for all the great music Kurt, I've been a fan for years now, please come to Norway soon!

All the best

Mrzzajjazz

2. Matt

i'm not kurt, but a weird thing happened the other day.
    i was in my lesson, and we were working on ''take the 'a' train'', and when i was improvising over the changes, i wasn't even looking at the guitar - it was like i could hear where i wanted to go and just go there.
    really, that's just something to throw out there.

3. animitta

Hello to everyone,
    i can say for myself that i have not perfect pitch. I can say for sure too, at least from Kurt words, that he has not perfect pitch. Sure he has a good relative pitch, developed in all this years of playing, composing, practicing.

For the ear training exercise i have just one suggestion that hopefully i learnt during my years of shedding:record yourself!!!!hear to what you played!!!Be in the moment of the hearing process. Don't over intellectualize!!Hear and play. But first: Ear!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the Best
    Animitta

Register
  4. jazznan

If you look at one of the lastest youtube vids of Kurt. He talks about using a chromatic tuner to find the notes for Zhivago (or whatever the tune was)

5. 100 bucks says Kurt haaaates that this forum has now turned into an open online interview. Every question is just gonna annoy the hell out of him.

6. Basile865

This will probably be painfully obvious, but I find its not entirely easy to do on the fly- in regards to avoiding going on autopilot. When taking a solo, instead of running a collection of your favorite riffs and trying to be tasteful with it, I've been trying more to create a melody on the spot, kind of like singing with the guitar, and also creating mini "themes" in it where you might repeat a certain little part to create some tension or help the audience's brain find something to latch onto or identify. Its kind of like creating a little song within a song. I'm trying more to be aware of things like that rather then doing fast complicated riffs. A lot of times, especially in live situations if I don't focus enough, I'll let whatever is under my fingers fly out just to do something. I don't know its simple stuff but I feel its hugely important. Its the way I'm trying to approach that same issue of making sure to avoid autopilot mode. Hope that helps maybe

7. mrzzajjazz

Thanks for all the great responses everyone!
    And I'm very aware of the annoyance-risk here thekettlechipsrule, but hopefully, if Kurt find the question not interesting, if he's too busy, etc, well, I guess he'll just ignore it...and that's just fine. I'm still pleased with the opinions of others about this subject; it seems like there's so many great players here :-)

All the best

Mrzzajjazz

8. Quintricacy

This is an interesting one for me. I have tried to sing what I play, in a Kurt kind of way but I find that it's my fingers leading my voice than the other way around. I have always felt that I can improvise better in my head or sing a better solo away from the guitar. So recently I have been recording myself singing over standards and trying to transcribe some of the things I'm singing to get a better understanding of where that is on the fret board.

9. Quintricacy, beautiful!!!

10. wommusic
    Key Master

I don't even have perfect sales-pitch! ;-)

11. Joel

Play what you sing, rather than sing what you play. A bit tougher, very different though.

12. jazznan

I thought my previous post made it obvious that he doesn't have perfect pitch-hopefully that helped you.., but the second part of your question is interesting.

very funny on the "sales-pitch"

13. jimjazz

Hello everyone,

First post on here, been meaning to pipe up for a while but this question is related something I've thought about asking on occasion.

I think perfect pitch obviously helps but also think its not a prerequisite for being an improvisor.

I was virtually tone deaf till I changed teacher several years ago, I went in for my first lesson sweeping and shredding my way over 'All The Things..' and he stumped me by stopping me and asking me to play just one note per chord but making sure I could hear/sing it... I couldn't play a thing!

Spent a lot of time since then singing scales/arpeggios away from my guitar as well as on it. I still practise taking a standard I know well and can 'hear' its progression in my head and start by singing/playing one note per chord and then, as my confidence improves, breaking out into longer phrases, its helped me a lot.

Sometimes, to stop my fingers running away with me, I also sing the note first and play it on my guitar a second or two later to check I'm 'in tune' with my instrument.

Has anyone else got other exercises they do? I would love to hear/read them.

Great forum Kurt and Anders, I love dropping by and have learnt tons from peoples posts.

Thanks,

Jim

14. animitta

Regarding the auto-pilote mode and how to break that:
    Someone already suggestesd to play what you sing, and i think it's a good method.

Another one, that i use, is to break your confort zone putting some "obstacles"on your playing.

I mean, for example:
    - try to play with just 3 fingers and just downstroke.
    - ( Mick Goodrich docet ) choose just 3 strings and play exclusively on that over some progression. choose just one string and play all over the fingerboard. choose just 2 string.......
    - use just two fingers.
    - use just one finger.
    - use just upstroke
    - use only diatonic intervals inside the scale( third, fourth, ecc)

As everyone can see the possible "obstacles" are endless, everyone can find what best help his playing in a particular moment. For example: if you already know how to play your scale with a particular fingering, in one position, then try to play all your scales all over the fingerboard. Start with the lowest note possible and go up to the highest.

Practice all these things for some years, eventually they will appear in your playing in a natural way : )

All the Best
    Animitta

You must log in to post.