Rhythm and syncopation masterclass...

(8 posts)
  1. Sandemose

2. Nuno
    Key Master

This is one of the most overlooked issue by musicians and music students of all genres. You may only know a few chords and some theory etc, but if you have a strong rhythmic approach you can sound better than a guy that has a huge amount of knowledge but a weak rhythmic sensibility.

Thanks for sharing, nice videos by Hal Garper.

Email
  3. jbroad

he addresses this in depth in his book "foward motion". i would highly recommend checking this book out

4. Quintricacy

I was talking about this a bit in a few other threads. In the college i study in we have a Rhythm Studies class in all four years. It's definitely a unique program and my understanding of rhythm is so much greater than it used to be. Especially using Konnekal, which is a great way to figure out rhythmic stuff. These are some examples of the lessons we get, most of the stuff here is what you would get in 1st year. This is my dad teaching all of these.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

He's planning on releasing a book on basic elements of rhythm in the near future. He also has a book called Creative Rhythmic Concepts for Jazz Improvisation, which deals with more metric modulation type of things.

5. Hey Quintricacy! You're Ronan's son? I had the pleasure to meet your father at a polyrhythm meeting in Brazil. He's a monster player and his stuff on rhythms and konnekal is amazing! I doubt he'll remember me but do say hello for me man! Hope you're both doing well! All the Best.

6. arewolfe

Great thread!

7. Quintricacy

Hi Ricardo,

Yes I am Ronan's son. Small world isn't it? I will definitely say hello. The rhythm conference is in Dublin this year and I know some of the guys from Sao Paolo are coming, Marcello I know for sure and maybe Carlos. Really looking forward to it!

8. Sandemose

Quintricacy: Im gonna check out the links you posted now. Thanks alot for sharing!

Best, Sandemose

You must log in to post.