Magical rainbow ponies

RHYTHM CHANGES

(8 posts)
  1. miss marple

it´s probably a already well-discussed subject, but I really would be thankful about some advices how to practice rhythm changes...I still have troubles playing them well and it all start with the 1625 in the beginning I always find it really restricting and end up playing arpeggios and a lot of thirds ;) which isn´t a bad choice but still i feel theres msut be something more to it ...substitutions? another was of thinking/hearing? pleas help !! :)

Private
  2. harmnobean

You might find it useful to listen a lot to some recordings of people playing rhythm changes, and maybe learn an A section or two that you like, see what they're doing, and go from there. Here are 5 really good ones, but if you have some you like already, by all means use those!

Count Basie/Lester Young - Lester Leaps In
    Miles Davis - Oleo with Sonny Rollins and Horace Silver (Bags' Groove)
    Tenor Conclave with Hank Mobley, John Coltrane, Zoot Sims and Al Cohn
    The Eternal Triangle with Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt and Dizzy Gillespie
    Dexter Gordon - Second Balcony Jump with Sonny Clark

3. gleepglop

Coltrane's solo with miles, I forget which recording it's on, is a great example of textbook RC lines.
    The Miles solo w/Rollins is great, but a bit odd . . . a good example of a less straightforward way of approaching it.

Private
  4. guitarmo

If you are playing Bb Rhythm Changes, just play b7th's (Ab's) and b3rd's (Db's). You will sound like a boss. Simple.

5. miss marple

thank you all for your help!i just listened to the Dexter Gordon Solo on Second Balcony Jump it´s such a great solo...will start instantly transcribing it :)) thanks for the motivation

6. cruxtable

adding on to guitarmo, playing the blues works over the a section...also, learn every rhythm changes head you can find in a couple octaves, in order of how commonly played or how difficult they are. this will help your technique, help you hear new stuff to play and also you'll know a lot more tunes.

Contact us
  7. silverwater

A few random points:

You can outline the changes or just play stuff in Bb (or Bb blues). However I think it can sound a bit square if you do either one exclusively.

If you want to outline the changes there's no time to be thinking about scales and shit over that A sec, just use degrees etc. For learning to play the changes transcribe and/or check out some books with written out solos like Joe Pass's "guitar styles" book or Joe Diorio's book about rhythm changes, and of course the Omnibook.

Rhythm changes are all about creating tension and resolution...when soloing up tempo you can think of the A chords being: :Bb :F7 :Bb :F7 :Bb7 :Eb :Bb :F7 : (Other A secs would have F7--> Bb for the last two bars)

8. silverwater

One more thought: If you're always leaning on the 3rds and 7ths, practice lines avoiding either one or both. I know I had a thing where I always played the 3rds over the VI7 and the V7 chords in RCs, so I started to practice lines while consciously staying away from them. Use other degrees over the those dominant chords like the b9, #9, b5, 5, b6, and 6th.

You must log in to post.