Road trip

(12 posts)
  1. Matt

completely unrelated to music, really, but...
    I'm trying to plan a week road trip with 4 other mates going to the West Coast or the Rockies (Colorado).
    In terms of transportation, we're not driving at all - all public. To get there, we're leaning towards buses. Maybe a cheap flight if we can snag one.
    We're hoping to stay in hostels/cheap hotels every night, or camp.

I'm thinking we'd each need about $100 (little more than $100 each day) to spend, and we'd bring a small bag with maybe a change of clothes and money.

Anyway, what do you think about these arrangements? Anywhere else we should consider? Have you had any trouble on road trips?

2. Sandemose

Ive seen to many horror movies with road trips so I shouldnt give any advice I guess...

Best, Sandemose

Email
  3. Come to Portland...It's where it's at

4. In san francisco there is a hostel very near downtown in the neighborhood known as north beach ( Italian area ; cafes; art schools; strip clubs, etc). There is a hostel called the green tortoise. It's relatively cheap. My wife used it and reccommends it. Have fun!

Edit page
  5. In san francisco there is a hostel very near downtown in the neighborhood known as north beach ( Italian area ; cafes; art schools; strip clubs, etc). There is a hostel called the green tortoise. It's relatively cheap. My wife used it and reccommends it. Have fun!

6. I second the Portland recommendation! Once you smell the air here, eat at our food carts, and sip our fine beer...you'll never leave.

Ben

7. Washabaugh, you from Portland too?

8. BbBeast,
    From Corvallis...but I loves me some P-town! Go Oregon!

Ben

9. Portland also has powell's books ( the Portland peeps can tell you more) it is the most amazing bookstore(s) ever.
    Across the beautiful little park fromtheir maths and engineering dept of the bookstore there is the sheet music company of Portland which is an amazing resource. Great Indian food, great coffee, beautiful lush greenery... Maybe John stowell intiwn and playing somewhere ?? If so, must see/hear.go to Portland .

10. Matt

Is Portland expensive?

11. not compared to other cities on the west coast (San Fransisco, Seattle, ect) but it's not the cheapest place in the world.

12. Matt,
    Expensive is a very relative term so it's a bit hard to say...

For me, Portland is an unbelievable value in terms of everything it has to offer.

I would say that compared to most US cities Portland is on the cheap side of the spectrum. That being said, you could surely find ways to part with lots of money.

If you're wanting to keep things dirt cheap then check out a few of the hostels in the area:
    http://www.portlandhostel.org/
    http://www.nwportlandhostel.com/

I can't tell you enough about the food carts in the area...but they're amazing and very reasonably priced:
    http://www.foodcartsportland.com/

I've also had great success with Priceline.com when needing to stay right smack in the center of the city. I think last time I did this I named my own price ($60) and stayed at the Hilton right downtown. Of course, Couchsurfing is always another option.

BbBeast...what have I missed? There are so many things to mention about Portland...

Good luck Matt...
    Ben

You must log in to post.