shed process

(4 posts)

No tags yet.

1. cruxtable

do you any of you have a process you use to shed tunes? i'm thinking of the more difficult ones, where you can't just learn the tune and be able to play it, but takes some serious shedding to be able to play freely over the changes. right now i'm working on inner urge and trying to put together a method of working through the tune to get really comfortable with it. there's obvious things like playing arpeggios or scales through the changes, but do you have any particular exercises or methods you use to shed tricky tunes?

Email
  2. arewolfe

-Be able to sing the melody notes and hear their relationship to the key, and where they're resolving

-Ditto for the bass motion

-Pay attention to notes within the harmony that stand out to you the most (or the implied harmony, i.e. chord scales), and work on ways to emphasize those pitches

-Invent difficult exercises to play over the tune... i.e. ways of playing over the changes that force you to break away from your habitual lines... exercises that are too difficult to play at normal tempos until you've spent a lot of time with them.

-Be patient and persistent. I spent 5 years playing Countdown before it made any sense to me.

Private
  3. smoke

Singing the root movement of the harmony seems to help me memorize and internalize the changes. You can get pretty crazy with singing stuff - like play the root and sing the 3rd, 7ths, etc. Doing all of this slowly, in time to a metronome of course. The goal is to hear the harmony as clearly as possible and not have to think about what chord is coming up - just hearing it in your head and playing melodies over what you hear.

Beyond that, mostly triads, arpeggios, and scale work using progressively faster rhythmic values. I always start as simple as possible so usually triads. I'll try to voice lead triads through the changes and see the connections on the neck.

I haven't done it much, but I have done Krantz's 'four fret' thing where you solo over all of the changes in one position. It takes a lot of time and dedication, which I usually don't have. It is helpful when I do it though.

4. hi
    practice looping 2 chords at a time (at different time lengths) - (4 bars each to 2 beats each) from any part of the tune that isn't giving you the feeling of true wizardry

You must log in to post.