Singing Kurt's Tunes(from memory)

(3 posts)

Tags:

1. phanover44

Hey there! I have been a big fan of Kurt for years and have been curious for some time if anyone else has memorized(without reading) many of Kurt's solos and compositions to sing. Over the years I have done this exactly, and hope that someone out there does the same as I do. From listening to Kurt's music often and truly feeling it, I would love to be the first person to sing Kurt's music in a performance setting? Ha! That would be interesting. Also, I have played guitar for years, but I am just starting to read more. I have always played by ear after a certain point, and that is why I enjoy this approach to Kurt's music. This forum is very nice.
    Best,
    Peter

2. silverwater

Yeah, but trust me, you don't want to hear it :)

3. Six Ways to Be a Better Singer

Take care of yourself.
    Your body is your instrument and you only get one. So, stay hydrated. Get enough sleep. Don't smoke.

Support your breath.
    You've probably heard this before by every choral director and voice teacher you've ever had—and there's a reason for that. Proper breath support is imperative if you want your tone to sound the best it can. Unfortunately, it seems like every pedagogue has a different way of explaining breath support, which leads to a lot of confusion. This is an area where a personal voice teacher will come in handy for you. He or she will work one-on-one with you to help you learn or improve your breath support so that your tone is always supported. [Read: "Choral Cliché: Support the Tone."]

Keep your jaw loose.
    A tense jaw will cause your tone to sound constricted and may even cause you to sing out of tune. So, reduce your jaw movement to only what is necessary and don't chew on your vowels. For example, if you are singing a major scale on "ah," there is little need to move your jaw while ascending from pitch to pitch. Keep your jaw as stationary and as loose as possible, and think of making the shape of the vowel inside your mouth rather than with the muscles in your lips.

Read ahead of the beat.
    When reading music, always have your eye at least one or two beats ahead—that way you can anticipate what's coming next and you'll be less likely to be caught off guard when you encounter a curveball interval jump. This can be especially helpful when doing a cold sightread through a new piece of music.

Listen louder than you sing.
    Aural multitasking—the ability to listen to yourself while simultaneously listening to other singers and musicians in your ensemble—is a challenge that every choral singer faces. Please: Do not plug up one earlobe to be able to hear yourself better. Why? If you have to do that to hear yourself, then you aren't training yourself to listen holistically.

If you're having trouble hearing yourself in the group, one trick is to angle your music book or folder in front of you (but without completely burying yourself behind it, of course) so that some of your sound bounces back to you as you sing. Use acoustics to your advantage.

Get over your mental blocks.
    We all have at least one. Maybe you had a Simon Cowell-esque choral director in high school who told you had a dreadful voice and ever since you've had low self-esteem. This is another area that a personal voice teacher can help you with. A good voice teacher will help you to sound the best that you can using the voice that you've got. Because remember: No matter the raw materials you've been given, your singing voice can always be improved upon. So, be proud of your unique voice.

visit here to learn more how to become a better singer

Admin

You must log in to post.