Spotify

(12 posts)
  1. jonis

2. themawt71

it seems that spotify is a bad deal for musicians.

3. wommusic
    Key Master

Hi Jonis - why do you prefer the album on Spotify?

Contact us
  4. jonis

@wommusic
    I often listen to music on my cell phone when i'm outside(i buy cds too). Its very smooth with Spotify-music on the mobile, but i understand if it's a bad deal for the musicians.

5. kurtisrosenwinkel
    Administrator

i am against spotify. why should they make billions of dollars off the hard work of musicians and we get nothing?

6. patfarlow

i love spotify.

7. bgil89

a relatively new app called Rdio has a really good selection and is $15 a month, I use it instead to support the musicians.

8. patfarlow

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1155395/business-matters-why-spotify-royalties-are-greater-than-radio-royalties

If you looks at it this way, its not a bad deal for the artist.

9. deek

I have discovered lots of great music on Spotify. I can see why certain artists or labels (eg Kurt, ECM) would choose not put music there, it's a business decision. Similar to what happens on Netflix. Personally, I'm going to buy certain stuff even if it's on Spotify (like Lage Lund's new album, which is great btw).

10. Sandemose

http://open.spotify.com/track/3h4nTr00IJ401tMqo0pCOZ

This is a post-rock-hardcore-pop-whatever-song a friend of mine wrote that I loved, and asked if I could play a solo on (songtitle "Karlsson" the bands name is FARAN). It took me 30 takes or something, but Im really happy with how it turned out.

Best, Sandemose

11. sweetdeat

I have albums on Spotify...but from a marketing perspective why put your brand new album up for free on or soon after the release date? Seems like a good way to screw yourself out of making money. I think there is good with Spotify (discovery of artists being a big one)...and they make it super convenient too.

I plan on releasing a new record in OCT...but I'm not putting it on Spotify until the NEXT record is ready to be pushed.

12. sweetdeat

PS

If Lady Gaga made $666.00 from Spotify after 1,000,000 plays...you don't put your music on Spotify to get plays. You put music on Spotify to hopefully attract new fans to your music...which hopefully will lead them to your current release...which hopefully will lead them to buy it or come to a show.

You must log in to post.