Standards and Observations

(2 posts)
  1. jazznan

Hello to everyone and just posting something that would be cool to get other peoples observations on for this tune or any other tune that you love.

I've been listening to every vocal version of Polkadots and Moonbeams that I can, and focusing right now on the bridge melody, where it falls chromatically on the words "in the". What I've learned is not every vocalist sings the chromatic pitch, but most dip into it very quickly and use it as a springboard to the next note for "eyes".

There are some not so good vocalists, who will remain nameless, who make this little phrase sound so cheesy and lounge jazzy, but in the hands of the masters, especially Frank Sinatra on the "Man and his Music" and Ella, on "Fine and Mellow" who just knock it out of the park (Frank's is my personal favorite as his vibrato is unbeatable).

I've learned two things: I don't think it's necessary to play or sing the chromatic note, but if you do, use it quickly to spring to the next note (this is my personal preference)

Just my thoughts on a beautiful melody and tune. Anyone else?

2. cruxtable

I just listened to a Sinatra version on youtube.. I'm not sure if it's the same version, but I'm not really a fan of the way he phrases that. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but there are any number of ways you can play or sing the same phrase. Maybe a cheesy singer is capable of making anything a master sings, well, masterfully, sound cheesy. In my opinion, phrasing isn't something you really need to do in depth analysis of, but rather something you get just from listening a lot, and particular phrasings you like will stick and you will hear that phrasing, either when playing the tune or listening to it (whether that vocalist or instrumental meets your ear's desire or not). Though not to stop you from analyzing phrasing, it's definitely interesting stuff.

Edit page

You must log in to post.