Suggested Listening for Fluidity

(10 posts)
  1. Basile865

I was wondering if anyone could make some good suggestions on music that would help set good examples of flowing through changes in solos. I'm still very much a blues guy coming to the Jazz world and rely too heavily on the blues pentatonic scale style. I'm looking to improve my flow and be able to creatively pass through changes. I realize really all good jazz has examples but I'm looking for something that has really good application of different modes to help open my ears up. Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Matt

bill evans
    sonny rollins

3. Gia5

I would suggest Red Garland. He really play ALL the changes and it's relatively easy to transcribe.

4. Basile865

Thanks guys - any albums/tracks in particular?

5. yaclaus

Albums:
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Kurt Rosenwinkel - Intuit

Tracks:

Miles Davis - Oleo (from Bags Groove I believe)
    Charlie Parker - Donna Lee

many more...

6. david6strings

i woud listen to lester young, he is a good starting point into playing jazz by playing blues

7. Alvin

hmm.. Lennie Tristano is the first to pop up at the moment

8. barolo

You can't go wrong with Clifford Brown, sooo tasteful and definitely fluid:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugins

9. Basile865

Guys thanks so much I really appreciate it....that Clifford Brown sounds definitely like a good thing to transcribe to get my brain eased into it

10. jorgemg1984

I would say any solo on "Chet Baker Sings" is perfect as an entrance in the jazz world. Pretty simple and timeless. (I actually transcribed all Chet's solos and all the harmonies on that record some years ago)

You must log in to post.