Transcribing entire solos vs. parts.

(4 posts)

No tags yet.

1. guitar1025

Hey guys,

Question for those out there;

When you're transcribing for the benefit of vocabulary, do you find it better to transcribe an entire solo and pick out your favorite parts. . .or to pick your favorite parts out of the solo and only transcribe those parts?

I feel like with the first way, you get a lot of the context of a particular line, which a lot of times makes a world of difference in your understanding of how it works. With the latter, I feel like you cut through a lot of the red tape; just deal with what you want to use.

Want to know your thoughts/ideas/suggestions!

As always, thanks guys!!

2. dexterfm

An interesting question.
    Although it may sometimes seem tedious to transcribe four pages if one is initially only interested in 8 bars, I usually always support the notion of transcribing the solo in its entirety. As you said, context is crucial and understanding how he/she got to that particular sweet spot in the solo is, for me at least, only possible if I take a look at the solo in its completion. There are no absolute truths and therefor I find it legitimate to just take out a particular line if that is what sticks out to you. Often at times however, I didn't realize how great a solo was until I had checked the whole thing out!
    Just my two cents.

3. jorgemg1984

Do both or do the one you think it's better for you. Only you can answer your question.

4. arewolfe

I find transcribing an entire solo is really helpful for my dexterity on the instrument. When you play something that many times repetitively, it's a fresh way to work on getting comfortable with new movements in your fretting hand (and sometimes your picking hand).

I was never good at taking a single lick, playing it in all keys, and trying to incorporate it into my "bag of tricks." The only time I transcribe a small part of a guitar solo is if I'm confused or curious about how the soloist achieved a particular sound, and how they fingered it on the neck.

Contact us

You must log in to post.