Tube Amp - Crackles and Pops

(4 posts)

No tags yet.

1. timwendel

Hey All,

I just picked up my first tube amp (a twin) and have found there to be periodic crackling and pops. It is nothing major and I only notice it while the amp is on while I'm not playing while practicing. I heard the same pop sound when I tried out the vox tube powered preamp, however much more dramatically. I told the clerk and he brought me a different unit that did not have that problem. I'm wondering if it's a tube issue and I'm hoping it's fixable. Thoughts?

BTW; I used that vox preamp for a musical gig I had where I went into the house direct. It has a nice sound, was only $199, and completely beat the crap out of the red line 6 pod unit the company provided. That pod and another pod both broke on the road. If anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, I definitely recommend it.

Best,
    Tim

2. Poparad

I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb (the little brother to the Twin) and it's been doing that a lot lately. It's a common problem on Fender amps and it's a sign that the capacitors need replaced. It's due to a faulty design where the tubes are placed underneath the circuit board, so as they heat up, the heat rises into the board and over time time wears down the caps. My amp sees a lot of daily use, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. I just need to get around to getting it fixed.

3. timwendel

Ok, thanks. Is that an expensive problem?

4. JorgeRubiales

Nope, capacitors are cheap usually. That happens with electrolytic ones, and those tend to be cheaper than metal film or other types. You'll pay more for the technician's fee...

You must log in to post.