Admin

Unknown KR song stuck in my head for 3 years

(11 posts)

No tags yet.

1. arewolfe

Not sure if this is "off limits" but I've been trying to figure out some info about this song ever since I heard it. I saw KR in March of 2007 at the Regatta Bar in Cambridge, MA.

They played a song that was called either "Song for RC" or "Gama Band" [at least that what it sounded like when Kurt announced it]... it started off in 5/16 and the melody alternated between two wholesteps that were adjacent to each other. I know this was 3 years ago but I STILL GET THE MELODY STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL THE TIME.

Can Kurt or anyone else comment on this? Anyone else heard it? I really hope it gets recorded.

The night I heard the song Kurt was with a quintet:
    Mark Turner
    Aaron Parks
    Ben Street
    Obed Calvaire

2. Gama Band checks with your description, it's in five, the piano plays an ostinato in 5/16 and the melody is sparse but I think it's not exactly two wholesteps, it starts with a minor third and then a major second but since you heard it 3 years ago I'm pretty sure it's the tune. It's hasn't been recorded yet.

3. Sandemose

arewolfe: it is recorded, as a bootleg though, and was posted here 6 month ago or so. Here is the link to the thread, the second page. Its the Village Vanguard session from 2007, and it was posted with Kurts approval. Its a great concert, the songs are sepperated as well instead of a long mp3 track.

http://www.kurtrosenwinkel.com/forum/topic/bootlegs/page/2

Best, Sandemose

Admin
  4. Hi guys! Always a pleasure reading your stuff here its great!! Speaking on the subject of: "unknown kurt song stuck in my head for years" i have always been very moved by this piece seen in this video:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

5. Sandemose

Rafafish: yo, the comments on the youtube video contains the info you´re searching for. The tune is called Turns. Its been recorded on a unreleased record called Beneath it all (?). The version on the video and the record doesnt sound the same. Its on some bootlegs (on the thread posted above), NPR Village Vanguard show also have it. I think Kurt quite recently recorded the tune again with a big-band :)

Best, Sandemose

6. arewolfe

Sick! Thanks guys. (can't access the songs but posted my question in the other thread).

7. Sandemose

arewolfe: if you dont solve the problem with unpacking the files, contact me via youtube (got the same name there) and I can share the files with you, unpacked okey?

Best, Sandemose

8. arewolfe

Thanks Sandemose, I was able to open the files.
    Ricardo: I realize now that I had the piano ostinato stuck in my head, not the actual melody.
    Thanks again guys.

9. Sandemose, The album is actually called "Under It All". Would anyone have the titles of the track names? I know that the first track is Brooklyn Sometimes and the second track is Number Ten. Also, the sixth track is The Cloister and the eight track is Turns. Regarding Turns: does anyone know what the form is before they play the actual changes? it sounds like they might be vamping over the 12/8 groove but I can't figure out if it is a free jam or what.

10. Colonel Trane

Boptocontemp, there is a thread with all that information in this forum I believe called Under It All track titles.

11. Thanks Colonel, found it.

You must log in to post.