Contact us
  1. jorgemg1984

Hi jazzcast - good lines there! I would give a humble advice: metronome on 1,3. I felt you're swing was a little "jumpy" and you resolved your lines a litte late sometimes. I had those problems in the past and got better by starting to always feel the time on 1,3. Hope this helps!

Edit page
  2. jazzacast55

Hey thanks! yeah any advise is welcome, others see what I don't sometimes, I'll try the click on 1 and 3. Thanks again, really appreciate it!

3. jazzacast55

oh and when you say jumpy, do you mean jumpy time wise or note/interval wise? cheers, I'll post some more soon, if I get time.

4. jorgemg1984

I meant the swing was a little too much syncopatted - feeling in 1 and 3 should help you that. Another thing that helped me with that was training bebop articulations on eight notes - this means attacking the upbeat and slurring the downbeat. It's not always possible because of the need for changing strings but whenever it's possible do it. These days I am playing more stacatto but practicing that way made me realise swing comes from both triplet feel and articulation. My swing is much smoother these days.... If you hear Parker he always does those articulations. Kreisberg is a great guitar player to get the idea of having the bebop articulations feeling with a stacatto attack - most stacatto players tend to compensate for the lack of bebop articulations with too much syncopation on the swing eights, sometimes it almost feels like a dotted 8th note and a 16th note.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

Those two things changed my life. Feeling in 1 and 3 was really weird first - now I have a hard time feeling 2 and 4. I would also recommend Hal Galper's "Forward Motion" - he talks brilliantly about all these topics.

But you're playing is really good this is just a small tip! :)

Email
  5. natjanoff

All the Things You Are in 5/8 Part 1

Nat Janoff- Guitar
    Francois Moutin- Bass
    Chris Carroll- Drums

1/3/12 @ 55bar NYC

Enjoy!

NJ

http://www.natjanoff.com

6. natjanoff

Sunday Morning ( original )

Nat Janoff- Guitar
    Francois Moutin- Bass
    Chris Carroll- Drums

1/3/12 @ 55 Bar NYC

NJ

7. Thiago

Hi guys! I`m new member here.
    This is the first video that I recorded. Its just a solo that I transcribed some days ago. Its a song from Chico Pinheiro, a great brazilian guitarist.
    Any advise is welcome.

Thiago.

8. silverwater

Hi Thiago -

Hard to say exactly because the clip was so short, but here's what I heard

Strengths: Smooth playing and nice technique. The lines flow, are coherent, and fit into the style.

Areas for improvement: Some wider intervals can only improve upon your already strong melodic sensibilities. A sense of story-telling is good too (takes a long time to develop though). And above all, don't forget to let your passion for music come through in your playing. For an audience member, this is paramount above all else!

9. Thiago

Hey silverwater...
    thank you so much for your words. Very nice tips for me to think about!

10. jazzacast55

Hey just thought I'd share this with you guys, vid of me playing over Joe Henderson's Isotope, playing it in my quartet so this was just a bit of practice, probably last one of these I'll do for a little while as things are starting getting busy.
    Thanks so much for checking it out.

11. jorgemg1984

Man great playing!

12. mich

Hi all,
    here is my last work - its not really so much jazz oriented but would be happy for some constructive criticism ..
    all recorded at home.

13. jazzacast55

Hey Mich, I really like it, beautiful!
    Is there an album to buy?
    Are you the song writer?

14. mich

Hi jazzacast,
    Thanks!.not yet an album,only 4 songs so far that we will be uplouading to the utube channel...
    im not the song writer - just arrangement and playing/recording..
    thanks for watching.

15. silverwater

@Thiago: I know a guy who took a masterclass with Yusef Lateef where they prepared a recital piece, and he said Yusef basically sat in the corner and said nothing of use the whole time, except: "If you put enough feeling into what you're playing, somebody else just might feel it too".

@Jazzacast55: Awesome playing. I dug the chromaticism, coherence of the lines, usage of motives, and the sometimes "rockish" feel. And the Hendrix t-shirt.
    I've got no constructive criticism to offer, except that I could have heard a bit more highs in your tone. That could have to do with the quality of the recording gear and the shittiness of my pc speakers...I only mention this because it took me personally a while to realize that the dark tone I liked when I was playing in my room alone wasn't necessarily the best tone for cutting through bass and drums.

@mich: Really nice production with that tune, and the tune is great itself. The arrangement is solid, and the words/singer's voice are fantastic. It's got all the elements of a great pop song, especially the vocal hooks.

If you're looking for some constructive criticism, I could offer up a couple (very minor and very picky) things:

- You've got some nice guitar earthy tones happening there (fits into the video nicely), but the drum sounds are a bit too "clean" sometimes to match that (the Bonham-esque snare sound fits though). I'm no audio engineer, but maybe mastering it to a "vintage" sound would be cool? (I know t-racks has a preset for this).

- Is the lead guitar a bit too loud in comparison to the vocals?

- I know nobody wants to hear this, but is there a way to cut it down to 3:00-3:15? I'd suggest axing the last 30 seconds because initially I felt like it could/should have ended at about 3:30, but I do like the slide stuff happening at the outro. Honestly if it were my song I wouldn't be able cut any of it, but the stuff around 3:00 really is more marketable (unfortunately), and if you brought this in to any big-time producer they'd most likely suggest the same.

Again this is just picky stuff and for consideration only (and heard through my shitty PC speakers). Regardless, it's a kick-ass song and some impressive production! I'd be excited about the prospects if it were my project.

@everyone else: Why don't more people offer constructive criticism on this thread? It can really be helpful, and I know there are some fine musicians on this forum who can offer some worthy insight...

16. jazzacast55

Hey Silverwater, thanks for taking the time to check out the vid, I really appreciate any advice so thanks.
    Happy you found it coherent and picked up on the motives, something I really think is important and always strive for!
    The dark tone is due to the camera (regular digital camera) but I do have a darkish sound and I have found live it doesn't work as well.
    Cheers

17. jorgemg1984

Brightness in the practice room turns into clarity in the band stand usually (not always true of course). Also took me a while to figure that one out.

18. mich

Thanks for your advise silverwater - points are taken .
    i agree on the drums sound - it could go a bit more dirty.
    but most important i guess is the axing yo suggest..i feel the same..thanks!
    jazzcast -
    great playing ! - your lines are interesting and resolving nicely.time is good.
    i would say you are 95% there...only rounding the edges a little(timing) and its perfection.

19. lucapusch

Hey you guys!

Great thread with many really great players!
    I´m a seventeen years old student from Germany. All I have is some recent demo-recordings on SoundCloud. It´s "Darn That Dream" with a singer and a trumpet-player, "Joy Spring" in my trio and Thordis (an own composition).

http://soundcloud.com/lucapusch

Any advise is welcome!

20. ziggynice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CfitgY6BTDE

Here's a song of mine played by my group. Hope you enjoy!

21. natjanoff

This is a Ballad from 2/21/12 @ the 55bar in NYC

" Time and Place "

Francois Moutin - Bass

Chris Carroll - Drums

Hope you enjoy it!

22. tycoljr

This is a great post, so good to hear so many good musicians. Here are a few of my solo versions of some of Kurt's tunes.

23. Quintricacy

Hi everyone. Here are some videos of me with my new band with my Dad and uncle on bass and drums respectively.

24. seminar

Hey I finally thought I might as well post something here as our jazz scene in england can be a bit secluded from the rest of the world....

So this is a main project I have going on, but if you want to hear more 'modern jazz' kind of stuff there's plenty of that here:
    http://soundcloud.com/seminardatta

25. Pauli Poulsen

Here's an arrangement of A Day in the Life by The Beatles that I did for my sophomore jury at MI last year. The inspiration for this treatment came mainly from Brad Mehldau. I'm not at all satisfied with my improvising, and there's a few technical glitches in the video, but here it is.

26. bingefeller

Hi guys,

Here is my Youtube channel.

I am not really a jazz player, but I like to try and apply some jazz concepts to rock guitar playing.

Any constructive critism is welcome, although all of my videos were done on one take. :)

27. fakejake

wow you got lots of gear!! I love the white strat and the bound tele

28. natjanoff

" Oleo "

Francois Moutin- Bass

Chris Carroll - Drums

29. natjanoff

" Stella By Starlight " it's in 7/4

James Robbins- Bass