Yamaguchi: Pentatonicism in Jazz

(6 posts)
  1. Matt

so i bought this book about a year ago and have practiced the formulas in it for the major pentatonics but i'm having difficulty conceptualizing the uses for the other pentatonics. if anyone has any guidance on how i can derive more use from this book, please help!

2. It may be stuff you can use for yourself in your own work. It might not be the kind of thing that you can just drop on have you met miss jones. I mean , he almost boastfully ( in as boastful as a dry manual can be) provides the additional scales and permutation missing from the slonimsky book. That said, even with that material it was based on the tritone so naturally it can be woven into the territory of the V chord. I've been playing around with little ( not big ' twelve tone' but ) twelve tone ideas that just weave a discreet path and wrap themselves up in little bows of their own logic. Complete little structures with all twelve notes, you know? Maybe not much will come out to be useful in standards land , but the few ones that do ( or even fragments thereof ) can be ways of ornamenting certain chord tones or pivot points in standard cadences.

3. Quintricacy

I think listening to players who use pentatonics would help a lot. It sometimes can be hard to apply something without any reference point so you should definitely listen to Woody Shaw and McCoy Tyner from the Coltrane period. Personally I prefer Woody Shaw's use of pentatonics over McCoy but they're both incredible

Private
  4. jorgemg1984

Woody Shaw is the master of pentatonics, no doubt. Check Bergonzi's book, it's very good!

5. Matt

i've transcribed a few lines of Shaw on the Unity album but so far i've only registered them as sidesteps or enclosures, like surrounding a G-7 w/ Ab and Gb major on a ii-V, etc.

6. A lot of the pentatonics in the book he is referring to are not the ones McCoy is using.

Contact us

You must log in to post.