Magical rainbow ponies

Yngwie Malmsteen

(22 posts)

No tags yet.

1. animitta

Hy to everyone, i just wonder sometime, hearing the more "rock" stuff of Kurt, if he ever heard about Yngwie Malmsteen....if he never listen to Malmsteen....i was a big fan of him for many years and sometime still am...i saw him live many times....i am not saying that Kurt seem or play similar to Yngwie...i just found some melodical stuff that come from the same source in my opinion....if someone will say that feels some Malmsteen stuff in my playing...i would be proud :)
    For example i find something inside this:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player
    Some of you guys feels the same melodical pattern?I suppose those are classical pattern, something that glue together the Malmsteen playing and in some ways the Rosenwinkel playing...the last is more than a good player..he his also a great composer..and an unstounding improviser...he is always evolving somewhere....you can't say the same on Yngwie...he found is stile 25 years ago...and from then he always play the same things....not so great and not so bad things...Kurt...never plays the same..he always try the "unknown things"...this is the great difference...
    And you guys what you think about?

All the best
    Animitta

2. Poparad

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment of of Yngwie vs. Kurt.

Edit page
  3. denjz

Funny...You're not the first to bring up Malmsteen in this context...Check out this interview with both Malmsteen and McLaughlin taken some 20 years ago:
    http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/art/flash.html

I think Kurt mentioned some rock guitarists as his influences in one of his interviews,Jimmy Page and Angus Young were among them.But these guys are like the absolute opposite of what Malmsteen represents...

4. InWalked

Has Yngwie ever ever played one phrase? I remember listening to it 25 years ago and it was technically great but bereft of anything that moved me.

5. Matt

i'd love to have yngwie malmsteem's tech. why do guitar-jazzers never play shit like that? I mean, not shred, but upwards of fifteen notes per second?

6. @Matt: I think jazz guitarist don't usually play that fast because once you begin to understand time in a deep way, and realize how hard it is/how much practice and understanding it takes to really play quarter notes with a killing feel, you just never get around to/don't care so much about playing over fifteen notes a second (plus you know you'll probably rush the shit out of them unless your like Pat Metheny, even he might have a hard time with that)...and honestly, I might be underestimating him, but I doubt Yngwie has thought that much about any of that.

7. animitta

Thanks to everyone here for the reply : )
    I must honestly say that some of Yngwie things, when he did that for the first time, were killing, for example Black Star:

Sure this is music with some classical background...Paganini, Vivaldi inspiration.... or stealing : ), is not jazz, and there is few improvisations....but was "fresh" when he did that....after him many other started to play the "neo barocco music"...
    It's not only about how fast Yngwie played but some melodic pattern he used that became his trademark...and some of his contemporaries used 20 years ago ( for example Vinnie Moore...or Tony Mc Alpine...you probabilly know what i mean...the diminished sweep and the intensive use of harmonic minor...the minor arpeggios sweep....)

I don't want to make comparison between musicians, especially between so different kind of music and musician, i was just wondering if Kurt in some ways have listen to Yngwie...and also wondering what other guys think about...
    All the best
    Animitta

8. Yeah, after listening to black star, Yngwie's time is weaksauce...that's the thing about chops, really, you could say Wes had more chops then Yngwie because his technique allowed him to play with killing time, whereas Yngwie's does not. I'm not trying to be so hard on Yngwie though, he is what he is.

9. Matt

Yeah, i hear where you are coming from. However, in terms of blatant make-girls-wet technique, i think yngwie takes the cake.

10. JorgeRubiales

I don't see the point, really. I've listened to this clip and I cannot find any resemblance to Yngwie.

I don't think that 32th note lines sound too good on jazz. Maybe as a short phrase, but the innovation of jazz, what set the genre apart from others is sincopation (Hal Galper dixit). And I don't think anyone can swing convincingly with 32th notes (maybe metheny in a short burst, but that's as far as it goes without becoming "non jazz" lines).

That's why "jazz-fusion" was invented. But I don't consider Gambale and Greg Howe as jazzers (though Gambale can definitely swing if he wants to, but most of the time he doesn't).

11. arewolfe

Shredding+ Jazz = Jimmy Bruno. Very tasteless in my opinion. Mind blowing, yes. But devoid of anything other than that.

12. jazznan

no (hot) girls I know listen to Yngwie ;)

13. Matt

i don't think anyone would argue that Art Tatum was tasteless, and he played some of the fastes, hippest lines i've heard.

and jazznan, do you know more hot girls that listen to wes? i don't.

14. I think it is safe to conclude that chops and hot girls have very little to do with each other

15. jazznan

dude + chops = dude + chops + other dudes

dude + x = hot chicks

where "x" is definitely not chops

16. Matt

yeah, i don't know if anyone will ever know what gets the hot chicks.

17. I'm guessing Art Tatum had all the chicks he wanted!

18. denjz

I don't think speed is the issue here.Coltrane played fast, McLaughlin plays fast...When you listen to some Chopin's etude you never think "oh man, this is some fast shit!" or anything like that.

19. animitta

Nooooo...i was wrong it's Randhy Roads, at about 4:20 of Kurt video.You can hear Randy Rhoads favorite licks ( Mr. Crowley) ^_^ :

I love Randy Rhoads too : )

All the Best
    Animitta

20. natjanoff

Animitta, I got something for you, I'm a fan of Malmsteen as well. This is from a show at the 55bar with myself , Steve Jenkins- electric bass and
    Gene Lake - Drums. I hope you enjoy it!

" Looking Through "

21. animitta

@natjanoff
    Nice video and good music, love the wha wha stuff and the vibes of the tune : )

All the Best
    Animitta

22. natjanoff

Thanks Animitta! I appreciate it!

Peace,

NJ

You must log in to post.